Nea Kallikratia was found after the “Asia Minor Catastrophe” in 1922 by Greek refugees from the town of Kallikratia located in the region of Propontida. The reason to choose for their new home this area was because of its great similarity with their homelands that they were forced to leave after the Population Exchange between Greece and Turkey (Lausanne Treaty 1923). The area has been inhabited since the prehistoric times. Excavations brought to light a tombstone with a pediment, depicting a young woman holding a dove on her left hand. This finding is called “The Girl of Kallikratia”. It is being exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki but one could also admire the exact copy that lies in the central square of the town. Moreover, thanks to the excavations ancient bath houses were traced on the northwest fringes of the settlement. Remarkable is also the Saint Tryfonas’ byzantine chapel. Saint Tryfon is considered to be the patron of winegrowers, therefore a great festivity takes place there every year in August.
The visitors have the opportunity to attend various cultural events (the Festival of the Square within the framework of the Festival of the sea) organizes by Nea Propontida Municipality in cooperation with the Organization of Culture and Sports (OCS). One of the main events of the Festival is the “Saint John, the Kleidonas”. This event lasts many days including theatrical, dancing and cultural performances as well as the revival of the homonymous custom. The above mentioned summer celebratory events are in fact cultural exchange meetings among the local clubs and clubs from other countries.
The easily accessible beaches of Nea Kallikratia are always ready to welcome the visitors, while providing moments of relaxation and resting. The magical and long beaches, the soft golden sand and the crystal clear water render Nea Kallikratia one of the first preferences and a steady choice for all tourists visiting our municipality.
Nea Kallikratia is a prime tourist destination, serving as the commercial center of the broader rapidly developing area of the municipality. The visitor can easily be served by an organized market and service network that has been developed, which is capable of covering all the needs and attracting new inhabitants thanks to the constantly developing services and substructures.
Girl of Kallikratia (Nea Kallikratia)
The "Girl of Kallikratia" was accidentally discovered in 1973 (150 m from the sea), by a resident of Nea Kallikratia. It is a tombstone depicting a girl holding a dove in her left hand and is dated to 440 BC. The headstone is made of white, fine and probably Parian marble. It has a height of 1.55 m. In many parts there are identified color residues (mainly red). Its main theme is the drama of death. The presence of the dove is a symbol of life, purity and youth tender age. Today, the "Girl of Kallikratia" is being exposed in the Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki (http://www.amth.gr).